Friday, July 13, 2012

"Bwana asifiwe" - Praise the Lord


JAMBO! Greetings from Kenya,

It has been awhile since my (Julie) last blog, internet has been touch in go.  It is not like at home, where you can get on when you want to, we have to purchase minutes to use the internet here. 

The last time we talked we had experienced some exciting things, they just keep happening. We have had a driving in Kenya experience, 2 teams, 2 hospital visits, lunch at the pastor’s house, lots of time playing with the children, both of us taught lesson on a Wednesday night, helped out with a Woman’s Conference, and we have come up with a protection plan…just in case.

DRIVING IN KENYA EXPERIENCE:
It was our first Saturday in Kenya, Mike had just gotten back from Nairobi picking up the Conroe team.  He hadn’t been to the sight of the new boys dormitory that day, he wanted to go and check on the progress; but Big Joe(the guy who drives the land rover) had already gone home for the day, so he asked us if either one of us new how to drive a stick shift.  I said no, but Jenny piped us and said that she did, little did she know that this was going to be a BIG adventure.  You see driving in Kenya is not like driving in the US, they drive on the opposite side of the road and the driver side is the passenger side in the US.  Plus the roads where we were are full of really huge potholes, ones that small humans could get lost in; oh did I mean the roads are made of dirt.  I have a stay she did a really great job, she stalled a few times only because we got stuck in the mud. 

TEAM #1:
The first team we had was a group of 7 women, from a Baptist church in the Conroe area.  It was a new experience for us (Jenny & I), 9 women and Mike, to share 1 bathroom and 1 shower; but we made it work.  The ladies had planned a couple of days of VBS (Vacation Bible School), but God intervened and had his own plan, no outside activities due to rain, so they did all their activities inside.  They performed skits, crafts, and lots of music.  They went to Yaanga and Cheese schools presenting the gospel in the form of a skit, The Good Samaritan. They had good responses at both places, meaning that several students came forward to accept Christ, so awesome to watch!

It was at our visit to Cheese school, that we had our first emergency…We were all saying our goodbyes to the students’, when we heard some commotion near the entrance to the school, we turned and saw a girl lying on the ground.  Three of us ran to her aid (Jenny, Mrs. Laura, and I).  It was pretty warm that particular day, and she was wearing 2 sweaters over her school uniform, we believed she had passed out from being over heated.  We helped take off her sweaters, elevated her feet and massaged her legs, and sprinkled water on her face and took her pulse…it was really weak…We carried her inside, because it was a little cooler out of the sun…it took her awhile to come to (about 15 min). We then tried to get some water in her…We had someone call Mike and tell him to bring the truck; we needed to get this girl to the hospital.  We had one of the teacher’s find her brother, and tell him to go home and tell his mom what had happened, and to meet us at the hospital.  When we got to the hospital, Mrs. Laura told the Dr. what had happened, he didn’t believe her, he thought that she was faking.  We told him her pulse was weak, he asked us how we took her pulse, Laura told him through her corroded artery, he then knew we weren’t playing.   To shorten the story, there ended up being something seriously wrong with the girl, Mary (we eventually got her name).  I believe that the Lord had us there for a reason; I don’t want to think about what would have happened if we weren’t there.  I really don’t think Mary would be here today.  Thank you Jesus for your timing, it is always perfect!

WOMEN’s CONFERENCE:
While they were here they hosted a Women’s Conference.  They had shipped 100 plus Bibles from the states, but Mike and AIM (African Inland Mission) were having issues getting them out of customs. Mike had some Bibles for another event, so he let them take those Bibles and he would use the Bibles that they had shipped for the other event, since it was later in the month and after they leave.   Last year the women from team #1 were saddened by the women they met who didn’t have Bibles, So this year when they told the ladies at the conference this and that they had brought Bibles with the, the women cheered…It was very moving…One of the ladies talk about how important it was to study God’s word daily, another gave a brief overview of the Bible starting with Genesis and ending with Revelation.  They performed the skit “the Good Samaritan”. Some of the women on the teams gave there testimonies, they then ended the conference asking the Kenyan women to share their testimonies and some did. 

LUNCH AT THE PASTOR’s HOUSE:
A couple of days before we (Jenny, Me and the Conroe team) had been invited to the Pastor’s house of lunch.  The Conroe team was going to Yaanga (one of the schools in the area) to share the gospel with them, and we were going to meet them there and go from there.  It was very muddy, Jenny and I slipped and slid all around in the mud, our shoes were completely covered, and thankfully neither of us fell.  They told us to be at the school around 12:00pm, we got there around 12:30; which was fine because they were just rapping up.  One thing you learn in Kenya is you never start or finish when you expect (things never start on time, therefore never finish on time).   We then started on our way to the pastor’s house, which was a good 20 to 30 minute walk from the school.  When we arrive, Jane (Pastor’s wife) and her friend Lucy had made lots of food (stew cabbage/onion salad, chicken, and mokimo – potatoes, corn, greens mixed all together).  Needless to say we ate a lot, it was all very yummy!  They asked us lots of questions, one of which was: are any of us married?…3 were, and 4 were not.  Jane said the reason she asked was because, some of us were wearing more than one ring on our hands.   Jane told us that in Kenya wearing rings on certain fingers meant certain things (on the left hand); Thumb –divorced, pointer finger –separated, middle – engaged,  ring – married, and pinkie – single.   Jenny and I both said that we needed to wear rings on our pinkies.  It was a truly blessed time, fun had by all.

PROTECTION PLAN:
Jenny and I made an American meal (pork chops, mashed potatoes, green beans) for the new team, which Mike had gone to pick up. It kept getting later and later and later, still no Mike or the team…We were starting to get a little nervous/ scared, so we made up a protection plan.  I would carry the long pointy stick that we use to poke the fire, and Jenny would use the metal pipe that is used to blow air on the fire-to give it the oxygen it needs. We decide that if someone tried to come it to our home, she hit them with the metal pipe and I would whack them with the pointy stick….that is our protection plan.  Mike and the other team finally showed up @ around 8:45. 

TEAM #2:
Is another team from the Houston area, a group made up of 4 men and 2 women.  We talked with them about education, due to the fact that some of their team had something to do with education. There primary purpose was to lead a pastor’s conference.  They included us in the team devotions, which brought on some intense discussions. 

WEDNESDAY NIGHT TEACHING:
The pastor of the church (that Mike and the children go to) and his wife, come to the orphanage on Wednesday afternoon/evenings to fellowship with the children.  He asked Jenny and I to each take a Wednesday and teach the lesson. 

Jenny did the first one, she talked about how she became a Christian; she used the verse Matthew 6:19 “Don’t collect for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in a steal.  But collect for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves don’t break in and steal.”

I did the next one; I talked about being mad at God for the loss of a loved one.  I talked about how I was mad at God for the loss of my dad.  I used the verse: James 1:20 – “for man’s anger doesn’t accomplish God’s righteousness.”  I told them that I tried to get through it on my own with the help of friends (some really wanted to help and some didn’t). I knew deep down inside that what I was doing was wrong, but I needed someone to be made at, and he seemed like the best person.  James 1:2 kept popping up in my head…”Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials.”  I realized that God was still there trying to get my attention, I just wasn’t listening.   He says in Isaiah, “I am the One who comforts you.” All along He was saying, “Julie, I am here, I never left, I am here when you are ready!”  I told them that we are to turn to God when we are hurting.  I told them that in a way I was like them, I didn’t have a dad to take care of me, But that we have a heavenly dad that won’t leave us.  

Together we did the last one: We talked about Jesus feeding the 5000.  Jenny was the narrator and I was Jesus, and we had some of the kids fill in the other parts.  They are used to being talked at, so we thought we would change it up and make it interactive.  They seemed to enjoy it.  Jenny made 2 paper fish and 5 paper loaves of bread.  I being Jesus blessed them and then tore them into pieces, showing them that Jesus provides for His people.

HOSPITAL VISIT #2:
It was a Wednesday evening and I noticed that one of little ones was not at the Wednesday night fellowship, so I went looking for him. I asked the other kids where he was they brought him to me, he wasn’t his smiley, giggly self, so I knew something was wrong.  I went and found one the staff members, and she asked him what was wrong; he told her that he didn’t feel well.  She told me that we should take him to the hospital, which just happens to be right next door to the orphanage.  The Dr. said that if he had a fever and if was high, he would have to get an injection, when Joseph heard this he clung to me even more than what he was already doing.  I tried to ut him down he just clung to me, he wanted to be held.  I am in my 30’s and when I am sick I still want my mom.  I realized that I was his mom; I was the one he wanted to take care of him.  We got the medicine the Dr. said to get, 4 kinds.  We went back to the orphanage, got a plate of food, and I fed it to him.  Then came the tough part, giving him the medicine; he took the first 3 like a champion; the last one was a little difficult, he gagged, I tried to hand him over so that I to did not get sick (throw up) , he didn’t let me go.  SO I thought oh well, if I lose it I lose this, he needs me. 

PLAYING WITH THE KIDS:
These kids are so fun; I have enjoyed trickling them, and hugging them.  They have taught me lots of things, they take care of each other, but they also get annoyed with one another too ( just like sisters and brothers do).  We have blown bubbles with them, introduced them to play doh, been peacemakers, and laughed with them.  They taught me a new game the other day; it is a cross between dodge ball, monkey in the middle and tag. There is one person at each end – these are the throwers, and the rest of the people are in the middle the object is for the throwers to hit the people in the middle with a ball (soft, they play with a roll of socks) if a person in the middle catches the ball someone that has been hit can come back in.  It was really fun.  I can’t wait to go back and play it with them later this week. 

I have really enjoyed being here; it has a way of getting to you; the country, and the people.  These kids have a special place in my heart, and if I could I would bring them all home.  The word adoption has been brought up a lot lately by different people…I think the Lord is trying to tell me something…I guess I should listen! J

Love from Kenya!
Julie

Things to pray for:
The team- that we all mesh together well.  Listen to each other and that we will put the Lord first, others second, ourselves last.

Health- the everyone (team) stays well…When we left (today/Friday/July 13) all the children were getting sick…pray for healing.

Mike- His patience are being tested daily, pray that he keeps his cool,  and that he can explain what he wants them to do without getting upset.

No comments:

Post a Comment